Art and Design Curriculum at St Peter’s
Engaging in the Art & Design curriculum, children are inspired, finding the joy in being creative. They are provided with challenge to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art & design. Children will be given a rich, diverse experience and will develop their enthusiasm, creativity and imagination by using all their senses to explore materials and processes, giving them a unique way of understanding and responding to the world. They will explore the work of artists, craftspeople and designers of different times and cultures, learning how art & design both reflect and shape our history and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
We believe that an art & design curriculum which inspires and develops ‘active’ learners, is the entitlement of all children. Our aims in teaching art & design include the following:
- Develop children’s imagination and creative expression
- Children produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
- They become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques.
- Evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design.
- Know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
- Become respectful and tolerant of different cultures and beliefs through appreciating and understanding the contribution made by artists, craft makers and designers.
- Help children learn how to make thoughtful judgements and aesthetic and practical decisions and become actively involved in shaping environments.
- Be independent, self-confident, attentive and active learners
Art and Design